I spent the past eight days with a group of independent reseach scholars and students in the jungles of dantewada, Chattisgarh. Our idea was to visit the conflict zones and study the large scale human rights violations committed by the Salwa Judum, document them and present these testimonies to the National Human Rights Commission that was to visit Dantewada town on the 10th of June. This visit has turned out to be an eye-opener for me. Ive made good friends, understood that the idea of government in India is crap and that rights dont matter to the babus anymore.
The Team included;
1) Prof. Nandini Sundar, Prof of sociology, Delhi School of Economics
2) Sridevi Panikkar, Lawyer
3) Praveen Mote, Independent researcher
4) Pratyush Chandra, Independent scholar ( 🙂 )
5) Kamal Nayan, Ph.d. Student in Tribal studies
6) Vikas Kumar, Preeti and Ranjay Kumar from Delhi Univ.
7) Sanchita Bakshi, TISS Mumbai
8) self (Aditya Swarup) from NALSAR Univ of Law, Hyderabad
The daily reports of the trip would be published in subsequent posts.